Are you up to the Churchill Cup challenge?
Visitors to this year’s Blenheim Palace Flower Show are being invited to enter the ‘Churchill Cup’ hanging basket competition, when it returns to the Oxfordshire stately home this summer.
To join in the palace’s events marking Sir Winston Churchill’s commemorative year the 2015 show, which takes place from 19-21 June, will be paying homage to the wartime hero and great British icon who died 50 years ago.
At the heart of the much anticipated three-day event will be a 25,000 square foot ‘Victory Pavilion’ featuring over 40 stunning floral displays and a huge selection of plants from the UK’s finest nurseries at special event prices.
Elsewhere, visitors can take a stroll down ‘Winston’s Way’ and ‘Churchill’s Crescent’ to discover the inspiring show gardens displaying breath-taking outdoor spaces by some of the UK’s finest landscape designers, browse and purchase the latest products from over 300 floral and garden exhibitors or indulge in some of the finest foods and nibbles.
Organiser Aztec Events is inviting visitors to celebrate the former Prime Minister’s era by entering and presenting a pre-planted hanging basket into the Churchill Cup.
Aztec Director Matt Upson said: “Our theme is ‘Creative Colour in the Summer Garden’ and, in addition to the other touches, we thought it would be a really nice way for the flower show to formally recognise Churchill’s commemorative year that also marks the 75th anniversary of his ‘finest hour’. We’re wanting people to think creatively about the planting as extra marks will be awarded for different uses of the space and vibrant colour combinations.”
Hanging baskets will be eligible for Gold, Silver and Bronze awards that will be judged by a team of experts from the world of horticulture.
A completed application form must be submitted to Aztec Events by 1 May 2015.
For more information on the Churchill Cup or to book discounted advance tickets to the 2015 Blenheim Palace Flower Show, which will be opened by Mary Berry, visit: www.blenheimflowershow.co.uk. Advanced tickets are priced from £11 adults and £5.50 for children at the gate. Concessions and family tickets are also available.
April 16, 2015
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THIS PRESS RELEASE OR ACCOMPANYING IMAGES, PLEASE CONTACT: Lesley Whyte or Paul Smith at Paul Smith Associates, tel +44 (0)1420 22532; email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes to editors:
How to enter
• Download an application form from www.blenheimflowershow.co.uk
• A completed application form must be submitted by Friday, 1 May 2015
• Staging will take place from 10.00 until 14.00 on Thursday, 15 June
• Judging will take place from 15.00 Thursday, 18 June
• Show opens to the public Friday, 19 June, Saturday, 20 June and Sunday, 21 June.
• Breakdown will take place between 17.30 and 19.30 on Sunday, 21 June. Any exhibit left after that time will be disposed of by the show team.
• The basket will be staged outdoors and must include a chain or very simple mechanism for it to be hung and safely support the weight of the basket when watered.
• The baskets will be displayed 150cm from the floor on one fixed hook.
• The basket should not exceed a maximum size of 60cm diameter, plant material may protrude and hang over the basket but should not touch the floor.
• Extra marks will be gained for creative use of chosen plants and vibrant colour combinations. Think colour, texture, form and space.
PAUL SMITH ASSOCIATES
16th April 2015